The Advanced Explorer Badge is similar to the Explorer Badge covering the Nature of Science and the Science Capabilities and offering a more advanced range of extension activities and skills. The approximate size of each badge is 2.5cm.
What is the purpose of the Explorer Badges?
- To get students interested in and working on a series of sciences activities
- As the activities are well within the capability of average students, they:
- encourage student initiative
- provide a tangible reward (an attractive badge)
- don't involve teachers in a lot of extra work
How does it work?
- Students choose eight activities from a total of 32 available
- At least one activity should be from each of the 4 curriculum areas
- The Living World
- The Physical World
- The Material World
- Planet Earth and Beyond
- Stickers are placed by the teacher on the activity sheet once it is completed by the student
- A badge is awarded once all activities are completed
When can students do the activities?
- They can be done at school and home
- 6-8 weeks is recommended for the badge
How much help should students be given?
- The activities are designed so most students should be able to work on them by themselves
- Offer praise and occasionally some advice if there are problems
- Encourage students to use a variety of sources to get information
What about the less able/very able students?
- There is a varied menu of activities on each sheet to choose from
- An Advanced Explorer Badge is available
What does it cost?
- Students pay for their sheets to their school Science coordinator
- Individual Home orders can be made
- Costs are listed on the Order Form